Skip to main content

Lesbian Novels? More Like....Yeah, No, Lesbian Novels

I've read a WHOLE bunch of lesbian fiction in the last year, and I can't think of anything else to write about, so I'm just gonna list some and whether they suck or not. It should probably be noted that I am not into contemporary fiction overall (aw, but you knew that), so if it's a set-in-modern-times book it's already got one strike against it. Also because this is a minority genre, the pool of authors is already small, so the amount of good lesbian fiction is going to be WAY SMALLER than for other genres. Except for like, fiction for hermaphroditic Polynesians. Those people are fucked.

An Emergence of Green - The back of this says "From the moment she meets Val Hunter, Carolyn Blake's married life begins to unravel until she is torn apart by erotic depths she can neither resist nor control." Erotic depths, people. I mean, it's set in 1984, and not in a fun Orwellian way. More a "we're going to wear hilarious clothing seriously" way. And it's very "Bored housewife coming to terms with who she really is," but FOR THE TIME that was not as clichey as now. My main issue with it was the husband is SO EVIL. Damn you, men and your manly manness. But for lesbian novels from the mid-'80s set in California, this is the best I've read.

The Haunting of Hill House - This was on a list of gay novels and IT IS SO NOT GAY. Or rather, it's kinda sorta gay for the '50s. Which is not very gay at all. I don't do well with subtext. I don't get that two ladies are into each other unless the book is like "AND THEN THEY WERE MAKING OUT AND TOTALLY INTO EACH OTHER. AND ALSO GAY." So thanks for the veiled allusions, Shirley Jackson. I didn't get any of them.

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - I cannot stand Jeanette Winterson. As an author. I'm sure she's AWESOME as a person and probably bakes cookies for her friends when they're having a bad day and housesits and doesn't ask for anything but instead BAKES MORE COOKIES for when you come home. But this book? Jeanette Winterson is the Queen of Vague Writing and General Subtextery. Meaning for this whole novel, I was going "Wait, is she 12? 18? Is she saying she likes ladies? OMG WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH THE NEIGHBOR ARE THEY HAVING SEX GOOD LORD I HOPE SHE ISN'T 12."

Kissing the Witch - These are interwoven fairytales that've been kinda redone by Emma Donoghue, who is a badass at writing. I'm on my fourth book of hers and this one is STILL my favorite (the others I've read are Landing, which is contemporary and not amazing but not bad, Slammerkin, which I super-enjoyed but is not gay and not as good as this [not because of the not-gay thing], and I've started Room, which I am WAY not into).

Tipping the Velvet - This is like the Holy Grail of lesbian novels. Sarah Waters is SUPER-smart AND writes about Victorian England. She said the purpose behind TtV was to show different types of Victorian lesbian relationships, and man, she succeeds. Because the heroine, Nan, is all OVER the place and probably gets like 50 diseases, but they are tastefully not mentioned. And Flo is in it, and Flo is awesome. Kitty is also awesome, but more in a bitchy way that destroys your life.

Fingersmith - (feel free to snicker at the title) This is pretty heavily influenced by The Woman in White, so I'm glad I read it before WiW, because otherwise I might've been all indignant instead of "OMG SO MANY TWISTS." It's got an insane asylum featured, and who DOESN'T love Victorian novels about insane asylums?

Affinity - Remember when I was all "I'm reading a Victorian lesbian ghost novel" and it was awesome because that's the best cocktail party sentence ever, only then it's not because it's not that lesbiany, but the movie TOTALLY IS and should be watched? The book's ok.

*cue sexytime music*

The Color Purple - I mean, this whole book is kind of painful but awesome? I didn't think about the lesbian part too much, because whenever that came up I remembered that Alice Walker had been in a relationship with Tracy Chapman and then I'd start wondering if Tracy Chapman sang "Give Me One Reason" to her and then I was like "She probably sang other songs; that's just the only one you know, so this is really you displaying your terrible musical knowledge." Then I'd have to figure out where I was again. But this is REALLY good and REALLY sad.

I want to mention there's a kind of amazing series called Elite Operatives, which is way trashy but STILL amazing, because it's all like, lesbian assassins falling in love with their targets who are super-sexy reporters. I might've only read part of one, but I assume they all have the same plot.

And therein ends my knowledge, with the exception of some other '80s and YA novels. And who wants to hear about those? NOBODY BUT MY JOURNAL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter 2013 Readalong Signup Post of Amazingness and Jollity

Okay, people. Here it is. Where you sign up to read the entire Harry Potter series (or to reminisce fondly), starting January 2013, assuming we all survive the Mayan apocalypse. I don't think I'm even going to get to Tina and Bette's reunion on The L Word until after Christmas, so here's hopin'. You guys know how this works. Sign up if you want to. If you're new to the blog, know that we are mostly not going to take this seriously. And when we do take it seriously, it's going to be all Monty Python quotes when we disagree on something like the other person's opinion on Draco Malfoy. So be prepared for your parents being likened to hamsters. If you want to write lengthy, heartfelt essays, that is SWELL. But this is maybe not the readalong for you. It's gonna be more posts with this sort of thing: We're starting Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone January 4th. Posts will be on Fridays. The first post will be some sort of hilar

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't

How to Build a Girl Introductory Post, which is full of wonderful things you probably want to read

Acclaimed (in England mostly) lady Caitlin Moran has a novel coming out. A NOVEL. Where before she has primarily stuck to essays. Curious as we obviously were about this, I and a group of bloggers are having a READALONG of said novel, probably rife with spoilers (maybe they don't really matter for this book, though, so you should totally still read my posts). This is all hosted/cared for/lovingly nursed to health by Emily at As the Crowe Flies (and Reads) because she has a lovely fancy job at an actual bookshop ( Odyssey Books , where you can in fact pre-order this book and then feel delightful about yourself for helping an independent store). Emily and I have negotiated the wonders of Sri Lankan cuisine and wandered the Javits Center together. Would that I could drink with her more often than I have. I feel like we could get to this point, Emily INTRODUCTION-wise (I might've tipped back a little something this evening, thus the constant asides), I am Alice. I enjoy